- Originally called Allumbah Pocket, it was used as a stopping place on the mule track from Herberton's tin mines to the port of Cairns.
- In 1910 a train line was built and although the train line is no longer in use, the well-built bridges remain between Yungaburra and Tolga.
- Yungaburra has 28 heritage listed buildings-making it it the largest national trust village in Queensland.
- Its a small town with the required convenience stores, a range of excellent restaurants, art and craft and attractions.
- The most prominent building of the town is the Lake Eacham Hotel, located on the main street.
- Yungaburra is home to the famous Yungaburra Markets.
- It is also home to the following attractions:
- Curtain Fig Tree.
- Chalet Rainforest Gallery
- Gem Gallery.
- Nick's Swiss Italian Restaurant
- Burra Inn Restaurant.
- Eden House Restaurant.
- Special Glass Co.